Featuring in the event:
- An exhibition of the piece "Valquíria Enxoval" (2009) by Portuguese artist Joana Vasconcelos, Hall of the Faculty of Letters - UL. Joana Vasconcelos gave a talk about this piece and her art on the opening day of the conference.
- A workshop mentored by acclaimed international storytellers Laura Simms and Muriel Bloch (limit: 20 participants; Cf. registration form), with a performance closing the conference.
- A session with The Lisbon Players Antoinette Keogh, Amanda Booth and Jonathan Weightman, who will be reading American women poets.
- A commemorative session marking Elizabeth Bishop's centennial
- A round table with contemporary Portuguese women artists discussing how American art has influenced their production
- An exhibition of selected art works reimaging the Infanta Margarita in Velázquez's Las Meninas by students from Ginestal Machado Secondary School (Santarém) at the Library of the Faculty of Letters
- "The Voice of the Word (Retelling Scheherazade)": improvisation session closing the conference, with the storytellers Laura Simms and Muriel Bloch accompanied by musician/composer Luísa Gonçalves and dancer/coreographer Iris Lican. Venue: Cinema São Jorge (City Center; Avenida metro station, blue line. Address [click for map]: Avenida da Liberdade, number 175. 1250-141 Lisboa). This session will feature in the Festival Silêncio! program (Lisbon, 15-25 June). €6 for non-conference members.
- "Enxoval - Bottom Drawer" one-hour documentary on Joana Vasconcelos' "Valquíria Enxoval " 2009 piece, by Pedro Macedo, Kitty Oliveira, and Isabel Freire. (Portuguese language, English Subtitles).
Celebrated Portuguese poet Ana Luísa Amaral, also a scholar in American literature, was one of our invited speakers.